Friday, February 19, 2010

57 days until "WALLY'S WALKERS" walks for M.S.; be there or be square

PERSONAL

I awoke this morning until at 6am after 8hrs of sleep to a 3 and no lower back pain. I took my am pills and put out my flag. I did miss Earl's election kick off event but I will be sending him a check. I caught a little news of a press conference that Senator Wyden had and I thought it had to do with the “Soft Landing Bill” but it was about a chemical exposure of our men and women in Iraq. Peter C. please define "We got your Back" to me? Todays blog may be a little long because I tried to cut and paste and include it today. Here it is:

Veterans exposed to cancer-causing hexavalent chromium in Iraq -- including nearly 300 Oregon soldiers -- should be treated as if they'd hit a roadside bomb and receive lifelong medical care and Purple Hearts, U.S. Sen. Ron Wyden said Thursday. Ten Oregon Army National Guard veterans who were exposed to the chemical while protecting war contractor KBR's employees stood with the Oregon Democrat a news conference to acknowledge their "invisible wounds" and to hold the contractor accountable. When one veteran began to cough violently and struggled for breath at the podium, Wyden's alarm turned to outrage.

"Precautions should have been taken and they were not, that is inexcusable," Wyden said. "That soldiers have become critically ill and suffer respiratory diseases and skin rashes that, again, is inexcusable." The soldiers served at Qarmat Ali, a water treatment plant where fleeing loyalists of Saddam Hussein spilled a corrosion fighter containing hexavalent chromium, which is so toxic that an amount the size of a grain of salt greatly increases the risk of lung, stomach and brain cancer. The Oregonian exposed the widespread health problems in a series of stories last year, which alerted the soldiers to danger.

The men are among 21 soldiers in Oregon, and dozens in other states suing KBR in federal court. Soldiers say they were never told of any danger and were told that their bloody noses and other symptoms were allergies to desert sand. KBR maintains it was not responsible for the chemical at the water treatment plant, that it posted signs warning that the anti-corrosive was toxic and points fingers at Army engineers

The Senate Veterans' Affairs Committee passed a bill to extend health care to the Qarmat Ali veterans, but only until 2012. Wyden wants to amend and extend that coverage for life before a final vote. He said he is also taking up the fight headed by retiring Sens. Byron Dorgan, D-N.D. and Evan Bayh, D-Ind. Dorgan led 19 hearings into waste, fraud and abuse by war contractors.
At one hearing, former KBR employees at Qarmat Ali, themselves suffering lung and skin problems, told senators that soldiers were exposed. Bayh was the first to raise alarm about Oregon soldiers when he noted that Indiana troops followed Oregon troops at Qarmat Ali in 2003. Oregon Guard Capt. Jon Van Horn, who served as a medical commander with the men, said the Guard is still trying to locate 40 soldiers who never responded to certified letters.
At the news conference Wyden thanked Larry Roberta, a reclusive Aumsville veteran whose story of health problems from hexavalent chromium exposure in The Oregonian alerted his fellow soldiers, most of whom live between Forest Grove, McMinnville and Gresham. Roberta's testimony before the Oregon Legislature last year helped create a fund for soldiers who develop cancer as a result of this exposure. Roberta, 44, has also launched the Web site www.qarmat-ali-vets.com, which includes a logo of an orange ribbon with a skull and crossbones. The men, mostly in their 30s and 40s with young children to raise and support, say they worry about the long-term effects. Former Sgt. Maj. Kevin Stanger, 45, of Carlton, asked the media to picture Oregon soldiers in the dust storms at Qarmat Ali with "this stuff all over the place" in 137-degree heat, wearing body armor and constantly drinking water. Former Sgt. Stephen Mueller, 36, of Gresham said he came on behalf of those who were exposed but are still in the military and unable to speak up. He described his own health as "having a chest cold year round." Retired Sgt. Jesus Bruno, 42, of Cornelius, a former medic and married father of three, said he works hard trying to stay healthy, but worries constantly about being there for his kids.
"Will I be able to see them grow up?" he said. "This is like a ticking time bomb. You don't know when it's going to go off."

We at the Building Trades have known for a few decades that KBR is not a responsible Contractor, even though it's good to hear them admit it; I am wondering how it is they get so many government contracts. I am wondering how many of our Service Men and Women have been killed by them in relation to those killed by terrorists in Iraq and Afghanistan?

After my online search I tuned into the news, CNBC and C-Span. The news was still covering the departure of Senator Evan Bayh and he basically said he was leaving because there was just too much partisanship and he felt he could do more in the private sector. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact that his wife worked for one of the largest insurance companies. Based on what I have been seeing in the Senate lately I think he was right, but I also think he was part of the problem. CNBC was reporting on the Tiger Woods press conference. The DOW was up just barely, but gas was still over $2.00. They were also happy to report that the President was in “Sin City” for a town hall, I didn't know that Henderson Nevada was taken over by Las Vegas.

After watching the Sunday morning talking heads I have come to 2 major conclusions. First, I truly believe Dick Cheney has Alzheimers and is a war criminal and that Joe Biden is an all star. I sent around the You Tube report on the jobs rally in Salem last Wednesday. You can catch it at You Tube video produced from February 9th Jobs Rally in Salem. http://www.youtube.com/watchv=x6BKaIzzbrg&feature=player_embedded

I did see the KGW and KVAL news trucks and I was interviewed by an “independent” reporter but I didn't get his name. It was a wet rally but the turnout was great. I did see friends I haven't seen in quite a while. John Mohlis and the rest of the AFL-CIO did an absolutely fabulous job. State Representative Mike Shaufler and many others did a great job even in the rain. I received a questionnaire from Medicare and I needed to fill it out and send it in but I called their 800 number and got some help and the lady I spoke with filled it out for me on-line and I should be getting a copy in the mail next week. I also attended the CPBT and 290 executive board meeting and pitched the M.S.Walk. I also found out about Claire and Al's good news at he 290 board meeting.
C-Span was still focused on President Clinton's “stint” surgery and he is out of the hospital already, I hope you will all add him to your prayers. I did get to Building Trades Tuesday and everyone there was still pumped from the rally. THANK YOU GLENN FOR THAT AWESOME MS WALK DONATION.

God grant that I may live to fish until my dying day, And when it comes to my last cast
I then must humbly pray. When in the Lord's safe landing net I'm peacefully asleep.
That in His mercy, I be judged............Good enough to keep.

My daily prayer, is to Mary Mother of God…..”O Most Blessed Mother, heart of love, heart of mercy, ever listening, caring, consoling, hear OUR prayer. As your children we implore your intercession with Jesus your Son. Receive with understanding and compassion the petitions we place before you today, especially for the safe and successful birth of cousin Brandee's baby; nephew Daniel, as he is back in Iraq; nephew Rhyon in Afghanistan; cousins Rita, Vibiana and Mark on the loss of their mom, Aunt Ruthie; Sister (U.A.) Claire's bundle of joy; and all in need. We are comforted in knowing your heart is ever open to those who ask for your prayer. We trust to your care and intercession, those whom we love and who are sick or lonely or hurting. Help ALL of us, to bear our burdens in this life until we may share eternal life and peace with God forever, Amen.”
Thank You, Mother Mary, for your help and assistance.

Judi asked me what I wanted to do for my 60th B.D. and I haven't really thought about it but I have Lots of time to ponder it. I have thought about how many other friends and relatives will be 60 this year. Tim Flynn, Larry Pahut, Mick and Mary Ellen Jacques, Me, and Bob Shiprack just to name a few.

I also feel bad that I will not make Cathy's daughter Brenda's, Wedding.

I know I have been repeating things, maybe too much, on my blog; but some of this stuff I need to be reminded of and some of this stuff others need to be reminded of, and I've cleared a lot so far.

LDN and AMP REPORT

This is my attempt to keep track of my experiences with my LDN treatment for my Neurologist and his RN. So far with the 4.5mg I think I'm noticeably better. I am experiencing better days and now that I'm doing the new dosage I am seeing a marked change. I have now been on that brand new FDA approved pill, Aminopyridine, even though I missed a few times, and I am very pleased. It is supposed to be good for “gait” issues, even those with primary progressive. I still have to check up on that new pill (AMPYRA). My BP is 125/75/64 at 11am, I hope it makes my primary care Dr. happy.

POLITICAL

I wonder how long it would take to get a health care bill if those MEMBERS in the House and the Senate were not provided it, but had to either go without or buy it themselves. I bet there would be a rush to get cost containment done, at least!

I am starting to worry about me; I am a Democrat and I was surprised at our executive board meeting at how many members sounded like “TeaParty” activists; and Ron Paul is starting to make sense to ME!

I am going to try to increase focus on Local Political issues and races. Wally's favorite state representative is Mike Schauffler.

One of the most consistent elected officials supporting the Columbia River Crossing has been Rex Burkholder, help him out if you can. Send him some help in the form of Duke Sheppard. Earl Blumenhauer, has been there for us also and Kurt Schrader should be returned to congress also.

Don't forget to respond to the census as there are 37 governors elections this year and we can't let them Gerrymander congressional districts and end up like we did in the 90's. One of those 37 is right her in Oregon and I'm sure, keeping a Democrat in the Governors Mansion is Paramount.

The Public Option LIVES!!!!
For months now, D.C. insiders and T.V. blowhards have said the public option is dead, but Senator Michael Bennet of Colorado just proved them wrong.Leading the way as a Healthcare Hero, Senator Bennet is circulating a letter calling on Majority Leader Harry Reid to use reconciliation to pass healthcare reform with the choice of a public option and Senators Sherrod Brown (OH), Kirsten Gillibrand (NY), and Jeff Merkley (OR) have already stood up to join him.Together these four Senators are showing Democrats in Washington the way forward on healthcare reform. Call Senator Merkley right now and thank him for standing up for Oregon, the public option, and you.

A group of insurance company survivors have set out from Philadelphia. Their goal? To walk to Washington, DC - more than 130 miles over 8 days - in honor of Melanie Shouse, the health care activists and Obama volunteer who died of breast cancer because she didn't have affordable health care. They're marching to get Congress to pay attention to them and to millions of others across this country who need real health care reform passed and need it now.On February 24th they will arrive in Washington, DC. On the same day, MoveOn.org is organizing a huge "virtual march" on Washington. We're helping them out, along with dozens of our partners. We're going to call Congress, fax Congress, email Congress, and do all of the things we know how to do to support these marchers and get Congress to listen to us, not the insurance companies.Can you pledge to join our virtual march on February 24th? Click here to sign

I am still convinced ALL this health care “controversy” that was being generated was to take the publics mind off of the Employee Free Choice Act, American Rights at Work, “card check” legislation. Based on President Trumpka's speech at the National Press Club, and the President's meeting with Labor; I AM feeling much more positive. I just wish he would have been specific in his State of the Union speech.

I still don't know yet for sure, if the “soft landing” bill is done but that is one issue I will keep harping on until I am sure. I hope that press conference that Senator Wyden had yesterday was related to it, in any case; THANK YOU SENATOR WYDEN.

Did you know that there were more vets that died last year because they didn't have health care, than have died in both the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars?

Not so New question for the day. Even if it goes without saying, say it anyway. Is Senator Wyden on that Reconciliation letter yet, they are up to 18 Senators and almost 120 representatives so far?

YELLOW RIBBON SECTION

Check www.LetsSayThanks.com often to read feedback from the troops about the Let's Say Thanks program!

Welcome to "The Mansion" , anyone who has spent much time on following the Afghan war could guess the sights and the living-standard particulars of Combat Outpost Sullivan, the home in Helmand Province for much of Weapons Company, First Battalion, Third Marines.
Could that be nephew Rhyon in one of those photo's.
Click above link http://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/21/welcome-to-the-mansion/ to see photos at end of the article.

At the 11th Hour, on the 11th Day, of the 11th Month a cease fire was signed to end the war to end all wars in 1918. How's that worked out so far?

SPORTS

Brandon Roy is sure in awesome company for the Trailblazers, in the number of All Star selections, it is to bad he got injured. I am still not sure about the changes the blazers made. I really think they are going to miss both Blake and Outlaw. Andre Miller is also in special company with that 50+ point game.

It's almost MLB Time.

COMMUNITY ORGANIZERS & CHARITIES

Judi has started on the M.S. Walk that comes up in April already, if you want to become a member of Wally's Walkers, the link has been updated, Jonna Lynn apparently found it, so did Burton White. I did make the 290 Executive Board meeting and I will be going to the meeting tonight to see if they will help again. And yes Tim I will send you a reminder. I did get to the Building Trades and made my pitch, and THANKS AGAIN GLENN. The walk is on April 17, 10 a.m., Pioneer Courthouse Square. Here's the link to our team page: http://walkorc.nationalmssociety.org/site/TR?pg=teamlist&fr_id=13001
If folks want to join, they can just go to that page, scroll down to Wally's Walkers, and then click on the "join team" link.

The American Rights at Work still needs help. We must not take our eye off the MAIN issue. E.F.C.A.

The U.A. Local 290 “Don Salee” Member Assistance Program.

OTHER STUFF AND COMMUNICATIONS“GET 'ER DONE” - SOFT LANDING ! And give them back their money, and their overdue raise!

Whether you attend a church service, a Mosque, GLBT gathering, or Synagogue service, please say a prayer that God; yours, mine or ours; keeps our service men and women in the Palm of their hand.

Mike; My blog is just under 6 pages today but that KBR stuff was too important to leave out. Good night and Good Luck; I'll see you next time on my blog.

No comments: