Friday, July 3, 2009

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY WEEKEND AND REMEMBER WHO BROUGHT IT TOO YOU

PERSONAL

I slept in until after 8 to a -3 after 10 hours of sleep, and a sunny morning. I took my am pills,with 20mg of my Ritalin and put my flag out, sat out for a cig and some vitamin d and then settled into my Lazy Boy for 4 massages. After my short stint with my 1st coffee and cig on the south deck I came in feeling 3+. I skipped my contraption today, and I'll apologize to Dr. Finley right now. After my coffee and cig on the south deck I decided I needed to get some “live” plants on the deck to replace all the dead plants on the deck and it might add to my feeling better than a 3+. (subtle hint) I am preparing for and looking forward to, the celebration at sister Danni's. And I will save enough energy for Marty's BBQ tomorrow I will be pretty short with basically the same reporting on my communications, by phone with nephew Dan, and my meddling with Salem with just a few exceptions.

I also must again say thank you, to all those who joined my request for prayers for my two friends, and the men and women in the service of their State and Country.

Our “Prayer Chain” for Dianna and Jim is having good results so far, Thank You, and I would ask everyone to continue that can. As I said in my email, I AM living proof of good results.

The good news is they are sending Dianna home today. Her early release (shorter than the Chicago 7, or Angela Davis) Does come with some restrictions, she doesn't have an ankle bracelet, but I understand she will have a few PO's...........does Mary Know?

My daily prayer is to Mary Mother of God…..”O Most Blessed Mother, heart of love, heart of mercy, ever listening, caring, consoling, hear OUR prayer. As your children we implore your intercession with Jesus your Son. Receive with understanding and compassion the petitions we place before you today, especially for my dear friends Dianna and Jim, and all in need.

We are comforted in knowing your heart is ever open to those who ask for your prayer. We trust to your care and intercession, those whom we love and who are sick or lonely or hurting. Help ALL of us, to bear our burdens in this life until we may share eternal life and peace with God forever, Amen.”

And I will keep up Denise's Walk address just in case you were waiting for your pension or retirement check.

The connection did work for me! Even though the “race was over” and I also found out our BULL SESSION last year gave a really nice donation to March of Dimes also.....................

http://efnw.kintera.org/faf/login/page_edit.asp?

POLITICAL

I still don't know what did happen in Astoria? I did get an email from my friend, and sister, Suzanne saying she really liked my letter. However, I don't know if she read it from my blog or if it was published elsewhere. I read Brad Avakians sine die news letter, but I am going to have to look a little deeper in the Oregon Legislation that was passed, and even more importantly, legislation that was stopped. My short look yesterday did have a couple of Hero-Zero candidates, but it will take more research.

I am trying to keep my grade for the President from falling from a B+ to a C, because of Health Care and American Rights at Work and also getting the Oregon Legislature from a D back to a C. with the final Franken decision that C should be able to gt to an A. And based on my research yesterday, the Oregon Legislature has climbed to a B.

I got these reports from the Oregonian, on line: “HB 3256 was one result of the Matthews-Kroger collaboration; it provides state standards for determining unlawful employment practices regarding Oregon service members. (Matthews pointed out that Labor Commissioner Brad Avakian played an integral role in the development of labor-related legislation such as HB 3256.) Most of the legislation the committee dealt with, however, was the result of the work done in 2008 by the Governor's Task Force on Veterans Services, which produced 39 initiatives on a range of veterans issues. Daniel did give me the bill number of concern, but remember my condition and memory ability.

With the Oregon National Guard due to ship to Kuwait by the end of the month for final training prior to their 10-month stint in Iraq (my older son, Alex, serves with Bravo Company, out of Corvallis), the state is already hard at work preparing for their return next year. Those on their first tour, said Representative Matthews, won't realize how much better the reintegration process is than following past deployments. "For those who've already served and come back, what they should see is greater outreach [regarding] benefits. More of an educational component going out there, to say what the benefits are coming to them, how they access those benefits, getting them in direct touch with those."
Central to these efforts is the so-called "soft landing", an effort that requires federal assistance and is being worked on by the entire Oregon Congressional delegation, with Sen Ron Wyden taking the lead.”

I couldn't find on line where the Governor signed that bill, It passed both Houses unanimously I believe so I sent an email to the Governors office.

I did get out today for lunch, and while I was out I phoned nephew Daniel to tell him my progress so far. He did not answer so I left him a message, he returned my call almost immediately. I caught him up to what I have found out so far and he had some news for me also. It appears the Governor will be visiting the Guard before they deploy and one guardsman was selected to meet with him, one on one. He told me he was the one selected, that obviously rates him to selection as one of my “HERO'S”.

As near as I can figure, all that needs to be done at the State Level (Legislature) is complete. I believe the next brick (pillow) to be placed, is the responsibility of the Federal Government and I believe that is in the hands of our own Senator Wyden. (a safe place for it right now) but, as that famous live artist says......GET 'ER DONE. - SOFT LANDING !

OK, what did YOU do for the Guard today.

Health Care Now !

My health care story is posted, so is my cousin Mick Jacques story in Arizona, thanks to Mary Ellen. 30 years in a Wheel Chair, and even on my scooter I think I'd be lucky to keep up with him, awesome upper body strength. While mine and Mick's stories may not be too compelling, I would still encourage you to read as many as you can.

http://stories.barackobama.com/healthcare/stories/update_landing

I still have this question? I seem to remember when growing up, they had a “County Hospital” that was for those that couldn't afford Health Care or did not have insurance. All those County Hospitals got taken over or destroyed in the 1950's and 60's, mostly because we did not want to pay for them through taxes. That was over 30+ years ago. Today some the richest Corporations in the country are “for profit” hospitals and insurance companies.
We have been hearing for years (decades even) that we need to DO SOMETHING about health care. I wonder how many Hospitals could be built, and staffed with the MONEY we are paying for Medicare, Medicaid, Private Insurance, Scholarships to Med School, and Nursing. We could even treat Med School scholarships like joining the National Guard or going to one of the Service Academies. You commit to 4-6 years of saving people for the government in one of these “County” institutions, “paid just enough to get by”, just like the services are now. Wouldn't that be a sure bet for an “All Volunteer” program?
President Obama; I am giving him a B+, with his Supreme Court nominee, Sonyamayor, (Yes we Can). Lindsey Graham of South Carolina is a jerk, he has called her a racist. Lets see; He is the White Male elected from South Carolina, I am not sure where he goes to get votes and endorsements, and I'm sure he knows a racist when he sees one better than I, but I don't think she is.
From what I've heard of the Presidents Health Care proposals and based on his AMA speech, his Health Care plan does not include taxing fringe benefits otherwise he will surely fall to a C-. And if he can Sheppard the “Employee Free Choice Act” into law he will definitely earn his A.
I did go to Senator Wydens web site and read his comparatives with the current system and I will share it here, even though they don't have a “Wally Welder” comparison. I am still left with some questions.
So here goes check it out: http://wyden.senate.gov/issues/Healthy%20Americans%20Act/HAA_Employee_Examples.pdf
And if you do go, please leave the message........GET “ER DONE - SOFT LANDING
Does anyone else think it's weird to see Arlen Specter on TV with a D (D-)after his name?
Bring our people home!
At the 11th Hour, on the 11th Day, of the 11th Month a cease fire was signed to end the war to end all wars in 1918. How's that worked out so far?

SPORTS

FSN is doing an evaluation of the NBA draft and I haven't seen anything on the Blazers yet.
.
I still think Felix Hernandez is the Cy Young leader right now in the American league.

And even though he was roughed up in his last start, I still think Carlos Zambrano is the Cy Young leader in the National league. But that kid with the Dodgers last Friday night looked pretty good.

I am sure Roberto Clemente is looking down with pride. I used to have a complete bb card collection of Clemente, but it was misplaced or lost with my MS.

I still hope to get to a Beaver game even before the “Building Trades Appreciation Night” and San Diego pulls all the talent up. I watched a couple games on FSN and they are very entertaining. I am also looking forward to see the kid from Gresham. I checked on the Beavers website and they are offering “flex” packages that really look like good deals.

COMMUNITY ORGANIZERS

The American Rights at Work ads are getting better all the time.

Are there better Community Organizations than the National Guard or the USO?

Here's two, from what I consider the top of the list, the OSBT (Oregon State Building Trades) and the NWOLC (Northwest Oregon Labor Council). Judy O'Connor told me last week she is retiring and Her and Tony are moving to Montana. I have known Judy, and Tony since Lon Immel and Ron Fortune. They taught her well, she learned even better; but I WAS the one to teach her to dance. She will definitely be missed and hard to replace, but whomever does, they will do fine, with aid from everyone.

OTHER STUFF AND COMMUNICATIONS

“GET 'ER DONE” - SOFT LANDING ! And give them back their $40.00!

Also, I found out the Happy Birthday, I announced? on June 19, was for Molly and Cloe and Grace's brand new baby Brother, Hayden? Oh, by the way, we can add Maria and Hayden Smithson to our Chain. I sure hope Molly and Cloe let Grace and Haden know about my Leprechaun's.

John, you had a gooooood hero run but my nephew Daniel is taking over now! I know you'll understand. I will give you the full reasons why in the near future. You just should know, it's not just because he is my nephew, or just because he is in the Oregon National Guard, or just because he is the legacy of past HERO winners.

Please, I hope everyone can share the American Rights at Work, the MS walk, the March of Dimes walk, The Epilepsy Run/Walk and the Recovery websites; so my taxes and donations can be utilized to their fullest extent.

Whether you attend a church service, a Mosque, GLBT gathering, or Synagogue service, please say a prayer that God; yours, mine or ours; keeps our service men and women in the Palm of their hand.
(Dianna, Jim, and Maria and Hayden also)

I have only one zero's list inductee so far, John Boerner, he likes to pronounce it baynor, I like it the other way myself. I am sure there will be additions. If you have a nominee, let me know.

Also; if you happen to be in the Bay Area (San Francisco – Oakland) anytime in July you are in for a treat. “Just having Labor Day in September isn't enough. Keep an eye out for Wyatt's Mom and Dad. http://www.laborfest.net/2009schedule.htm

Mike; My “short” blog is 2,222 today, and I am still feeling 3+; thanks to that conversation with Daniel, and I will be seeing my parents eldest grand child today.

Now don't forget to say your prayers. I'll see you next time on my blog.

No comments: