Thursday, June 4, 2009

NO TAXING BENEFITS

PERSONAL
I awoke this morning at 6:15am a 3- and a cloudy morning. I took my am pills, and put my flag out and I settled into my Lazy Boy for 2 quick massages.

Last Friday I participated in that conference call on health care with President Obama, He was on Air Force One. I am not sure if they were just looking for support (which I do); or if they are looking for comments, it was definitely a pitch for support but they did take 3-4 comments. Mine was not one of them, but I did get a follow up report:

Wally --

Two days ago, President Obama called in from Air Force One to join tens of thousands of Organizing for America supporters on a conference call to discuss our Health Care Organizing Campaign.

In case you missed it -- or just want to hear what happened again -- we've posted the audio from the call.

Listen to the audio and leave a comment here.

On the call the President laid out his goals for real health care reform, talked about some of the personal health care stories he's read from OFA members, and took questions on how we can help win this campaign.

He called on the thousands of participants to host Health Care Kickoff Events on June 6th and participate in OFA's National Health Care Day of Service on June 27th.

Please listen to the call, and pass this note on to any of your friends who might be interested:

http://my.barackobama.com/may28audio
I also received a phone call last night from the Health care now group and they are setting up some local meetings for their program. I agreed to help follow-up on the conference call but of the two days they will be doing more conference calls I could only commit to the first one, the 1st one last night, the 2nd one Friday night. I missed the one last night and I will miss the one tomorrow, as I am saving all my energy for Marty's party for Mike on Saturday. They are looking for people to do as much one on one conversations with friends and neighbors. (house party's) I'll do all I can and I am still trying to find the difference between the Obama Plan and Senator Wyden's ( if there is any?). I did not make the draw for a “live ticket” with Congressman Blumenhauer at PCC Cascade with Governor Dean and will not be able to make the Clark County Jefferson-Jackson Dinner Friday so I will miss Governor Dean again. (DARN)

There seems to still be a little battle going on here in Oregon between a couple of Unions (mine is not one) and Senator Wyden over whether he wants to tax employee benefits. Senator Wyden ran an ad ( I did not see it, but my wife told me about it) and Senator Wyden said the Unions sponsoring the ad had it all wrong. I have received a couple of emails of support for the “Obama Plan” from one of the Unions attacking the “Wyden Plan” so I am assuming there is a difference. Senator Wyden has been running a good ad with Senator Merkley and there does not appear to be any mention of, or definition of, “lavish” benefits. I wish someone could tell me the difference?

I turned my TV onto the regular fodder channels, C-span, CNN, CNBC and the local news. The DOW was up around 25 points. In the House (C-span 1) a republican congressman from Indiana was ranting about not being allowed to put his amendment to not let the GITMO prisoners released in the US must be laced on the “no fly list”. Following his 4/5 minute rant, the democrat carrier of the bill explained, all of the things he was ranting about is in the bill. They also said the bill would raise the number of security positions. All of this fight was just over the rule they would use to bring the bill forward.

Today my format changes may continue. I think my permanent “Hero's” box is up, but the “pay pal” box for direct connections to MY charities of choice is not complete yet. If it works the way I want a donation there goes to me for distribution to one of the many I list in my “Community Organizers” section. I will try to keep a running tally. I will also try to keep posting the direct links for those charities.

And yes, Erin, I will try to get a personal Picture (Judi sent me a couple of good ones, hard at work at my work station. .

I am still reporting we have 1 more graduate to celebrate here. Nephew (and Godson) Michael from Evergreen High School. His plan, I believe, is to go to Pasadena Community College in California starting in October. I did check to see how good their Baseball program is, it looks like they could sure use a good lefty on the mound. I hope it is “Pasadena City College”. If it is the same one I found on the Internet their list of Alumni is very impressive. I am not sure if others will feel the same way, but of the many honored graduates they list is “Jackie Robinson”, along with a number of current MLB, NFL, and NBA players. They even have an alumni playing for the Mariners.

POLITICAL

I still don't know what did happen in Astoria on that Natural Gas Facility?

Come on Salem, Get behind the President.

The news about the doctor who was murdered in his church, by one of those “right to life” fanatics, still bothers me. It sure is a good thing not all “right to life” supporters are crazy, but looking at some of those web sites, they appear to have more than their share. I have two questions? If you really believe in the right to life, should you kill someone to prove your point?
My second one is, as a longtime Union supporter, if we had meetings and espoused the killing of scabs, wouldn't the Federal Government come after us on “conspiracy” charges? Isn't that one of the ways they get organized crime?

Health Care Now !

I still have not heard from Senator Wyden. but I did get a rather long email report from Senator Merkley.

This is what I got off of Senator Wyden's website:

The Healthy Americans Act will make quality health care affordable for individuals families and employers.
All employers, along with individuals and the government, will share the responsibility of financing health care. Employers who provide employee health benefits would be required to convert their workers' health care premiums into higher wages for two years after the bill is enacted.
Employees, in turn, would be required to purchase private health coverage with their higher wages. To ensure that health care coverage is affordable, the plan would fully subsidize the premiums for those who live below the poverty line. Those people earning between 100 percent and 400 percent of the federal poverty line ($10,400 annually per person) would also receive subsidies on a sliding scale to help pay their premiums. The bill also creates a generous standard deduction to help Americans pay for health coverage regardless of whether they get coverage on their own or through their employers.
Employers who don't currently offer health benefits would have to make phased-in "Employer Shared Responsibility Payments," which would be used to provide financial assistance to individuals and families of modest income.
After two years, all employers would make "Employer Shared Responsibility Payments" to the Federal government. These payments are relative to the size of the employer and their revenues.
The plan, known as the Healthy Americans Act, would:
guarantee private health care coverage for all Americans and allow them to choose the health insurance that is right for them;
provide health benefits equal to those that Members of Congress now enjoy;
modernize the employer-employee relationship regarding health care benefits making health care portable from job to job and even allow Americans to keep it between jobs;
provide incentives for individuals and insurers to focus on prevention, wellness and disease management rewarding Americans for maintaining healthy lifestyles;
establish tough cost containment measures that save $1.48 trillion over 10 years;
as demonstrated by the Congressional Budget Office, the plan would pay for itself once the act is up and running by eliminating administrative costs and changing the outdated tax code that gives businesses write-offs for even the most lavish designer health plans; and
return surpluses to the government after the first two years of implementation

CNBC has still been pushing the need for and benefits of, Natural Gas. Oregon Democrats, are you listening?

President Obama, I am still giving him a B+, with that Supreme Court nominee (Yes we Can), but if your Health care plan includes taxing benefits you will for sure fall to a C-.

Bring our people home!

At the 11th Hour, on the 11th Day, of the 11th Month a cease fire was signed to end the war to end all wars in 1918. How's that worked out so far?

SPORTS

The Mariners are are hurting and that kid from Butte deserves more playing time with Kenji on on the 15 day list.

Jamie got number 250, you go guy! Do you realize how hard it must be to get 250 wins in MLB, especially without a 90+ mph fast ball.

Imagine having played 2,624 games in their history (Cubs - Dodgers) and each team had won 1,312. That still astounds me.

I still hope I get to a Beaver game before San Diego pulls all the talent up.


COMMUNITY ORGANIZERS

I still plan to get a permanent link for Denise and her walk/run at:

http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?sid=206439510610&h=VyGOF&u=ohEQM&ref=mf

The American Rights at Work ads are getting better all the time.

Are there better Community Organizations than the National Guard or the USO?

OTHER STUFF AND COMMUNICATIONS

I did try to send an email to nephew Daniel. I used the address I had from his deployment in 2008 but I'm not sure if it's the same. I still don't know if he responded because he got my email or he just had time to catch my blog. I did talk to his Mom and she said that she would send me his “snail” mail address.

Remember Dan..........The Oregon Legislature got your back!

Marty just text me and he is up and chasing his chickens around the yard, CHASING !!!

Please, I hope everyone can share the American Rights at Work, the MS walk, the March of Dimes walk, The Epilepsy Run/Walk and the Recovery websites; so my taxes and donations can be utilized to their fullest extent.

Whether you attend a church service, a Mosque, G & L gathering, or Synagogue service, please say a prayer that God; yours, mine or ours; keeps our service men and women in the Palm of their hand.

And even a special prayer for my nephews Daniel, Christopher, Ryan and all the families separated right now.

Mike; I am over 1800+, and I'm feeling 4.

Now don't forget to say your prayers. I'll see you next time on my blog.

No comments: