Thursday, September 11, 2008

So far today's a five for me

BLOG 9/11/08

PERSONAL OBSERVATIONS

I’m sure nobody needs to be reminded of the significance of today’s date. It’s one of those day’s most people can remember what they were doing that day.

I was at the Oregon AFL-CIO convention in Seaside, Oregon. The Building Trades had a picket on a Non Union project a few blocks from the Convention Center and we decided to picket it before the Convention started that day. While on the picket line we heard about the 1st plane that struck the trade center. The superintendent came to the picket line and showed his disgust with us on the fact that we would be picketing with that “disaster” happening in New York. As with most picket lines, some of the workers went through the line, some didn’t. When it appeared they weren’t going to get much done, at least that morning, I returned to my hotel room to get ready for the day’s convention. When I got there my wife had the news on and I found out it was not just a catastrophic accident, but it appeared to be, the U.S. was under attack. The irony of that non-union worker’s statement “that we should be ashamed that we were picketing when that tragedy was unfolding in New York wasn’t lost on me, we were bad people because we were picketing at that time, but he didn’t see fit to shut his job down for the same reason. I woke up at about 5:30 this morning, and put my flag out. I wonder what he did this morning?

POLITICAL

Yesterday The Senate “debated” S 3001 amendment’s, The Defense Appropriations bill. It had an, overdue, raise for the DOD & the services and a raise for Widow’s and Orphans’ of servicemen. There were even 2 Senators that voted against that amendment, can you believe it!

Senator Bernie Sanders, Independent from Vermont, gave a great speech on “ Waste, Fraud and Abuse”. I’m sure my nephew in the Oregon Guard would have liked it.

Yesterday’s front-page story in Willamette Week on Senator Gordon Smith was an interesting read.

Senator Lieberman gave a speech, for McCain I’m sure, attacking Obama & Biden. I still can’t believe 1) he was a democrat and 2) He once was our choice for V.P.

SPORTS

Could this be the year? Go Cub’s Go. Manny seems to be making a difference in L.A., Who’d a thunk? My fantasy football draft is Friday night. Wish me luck. My league is Pure Awesomeness and my team is the Copperheads, I thought it was yesterday, my bad.


M.S. REPORT

Forgot my regimen of noon pill’s yesterday and the day before but woke up today feeling pretty spunky. If I were to rate my day’s from 1 to 5, yesterday & the day before were 3+’s, today so far a 5. But, I’m still not ready to golf or drive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let me know when you are ready to drive! It would be great to go to lunch!!!